Nov 3, 2007

Musicology Meme

I "borrowed" this meme from Madame Diva, because I find it incredibly hard not to put my two cents in about anything related to music, and answering some questions on the subject is right up my alley.

The Questions:

What is the first music album you remember owning? If not the same, what is the first music album you purchased for yourself?

There was so much music in my house, I don't really remember the first album that was actually mine. However, I can remember having to make the gruelling decision as to either purchase DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince's first album, or Guns 'n' Roses, Appetite for Destruction. My mom gave me the money to pick out one cassette. I think that in the end I chose Guns 'n' Roses, but made sure to get the other soon after. Or maybe it was the other way around. Hey people, it was 20 years ago, and I don't have much of a memory.

What artist currently occupies the most space either in terms of shelf space or megabytes on your hard drive?

In terms of shelf space, it's a tie between Beck, and The Tragically Hip. Hard drive? That's hard to say. At the moment, it's probably a 3-way tie between Serena Ryder, Cat Power and AC/DC.

How many different types of music media (vinyl, cassette, CD, etc) have you owned in your lifetime?

All of them. I have 8-tracks, cassettes, LP's, 45's and compact discs.

Who or what has had the biggest effect on your music taste?

Growing up with no FM radio or MuchMusic/MTV, I basically had to go out and experiment with what I purchased. I'd usually pick whatever seemed "alternative" in the Columbia House Record and Tape catalogue. Friends suggestions were always given a listen. Mom and Dad's record collection has always had a big influence, as with the Oldies station that doesn't exist anymore, that we had to listen to as we drove around as teenagers.

How do you currently prefer to listen to music?

Ummmm...on a stereo? My car stereo definitely rocks the casbah.

In terms of music memorabilia, what is your most prized possession?

I like to keep all my concert T-shirts, whether I wear them or not, as well as my concert tickets.

Have you ever "swapped headsets" with a complete stranger (meaning have you ever unplugged the earphones from your listening device and plugged them into someone else's player and had them do the same)? If yes, what did they play for you?

This usually happens while travelling, on the train/bus or in a hostel. The only person that sticks out in my mind, is a hippie named James, who I met on a train on the way back from Halifax. He got me into The Grateful Dead and The Roots, and I got him into Blind Melon and Morrissey.

Have you ever been completely obsessed with a particular artist? Who and to what level did your fandom go?

Not yet, but if Morrissey ever comes near here, I'll do anything to see him. Anything.

What is the farthest you've ever traveled for a concert?

When I lived in SmallTown, five hours. Living here in The City, no more than 2-3 hours.

Who have you seen in concert the most?

Hmmmm. The Hip, 4 times. Sam Roberts Band, 4 times. Hawksley Workman, 4 or 5. I think Hawksley wins it.


No comments: