Nov 9, 2007

Hopeless Romantic

I don't know how many times in my life I have been told that I watch too many old movies, when the conversation turns to relationships and romance. Probably a thousand. Funny how it is always a male friend who makes that comment.

I was told that the other day as well, whilst sitting at The Pub with friends, when I piped up and said there was nothing wrong with someone expecting romance and passion and drama in their love life. It didn't make them illogical, or flaky, that's the way it should be, or so I think.

I sometimes wonder though, if maybe, as people get older, and want to settle down, they maybe don't think of those things. Maybe passion and drama and big, big love get pushed to the side. They want to find someone they can tolerate, and who can tolerate them. You need to decide if you want kids, and how you will raise them together. There are bills to pay, and mouths to feed, and Grey's Anatomy is on at 8pm.

True romance is hard. It means there are going to be bumps in the road, arguments and tears, but you crawl over those bumps, because you know that kisses and hugs and adventure and laughter and hot make-up sex, are on the other side.

And on that note, I think I'm going to pour a glass of wine, light some candles, and have a bath, followed by a night of watching Breakfast at Tiffany's and Dirty Dancing. Because sometimes, you've had a long day, and you just need to romance yourself. ;)

No comments: