Jan 4, 2005

My favorite show shouldn't have been cancelled after one season




Does anyone remember the TV Show "My So-Called Life"? If not, I'll catch you up. It starred Jared Leto as Jordan Catalano and Claire Danes as the main character Angela, in all her cool dye-job goodness. For all I know, all the other regulars in the show have gone on to bigger and better things than Jared and Claire, but I don't follow those things very regularily.

I have been watching this show religiously during my graveyard shifts at work. At first, I think it was because I had seen one episode when I was about 15, and couldn't watch it again, due to my family only having "Farm-Vision". But alas, I was hooked. I have never been big on teeny-bopper dramas, I can't relate, as I don't live in Beverly Hills or in Orange County. The one exception was always Degrassi Junior (and Senior) High....it was realisitic (except for the clothes, they were pure Toronto), and even though I didn't have a baby at 13, or go to Pogues concerts, I could get the gist of what was going on with those kids from Degrassi Street. Anyways........................

I know that it's many years too late, but I really wish that "My So-Called Life" had been on Farm-Vision, so my mom and I could have watched it together like we did Degrassi. Although, many an uncomfortable teenage-girl/mother conversations were started due to Degrassi being on the tube, I think that if my mother had been able to see Angela go through her one season of teenage angst, she would have understood me completely, or at least a whole lot more than I think she did.

I feel like I'm watching a younger version of myself every night at 1am....and understanding and remembering a few events that I had blocked or forgotten, that really have made me the disfunctional semi-mature individual I am today. I had a Jorden Catalano, who broke my heart every day, for reasons as small as not seeing me in the hall at school, and as big as telling me how much he liked me, and making out with me when we were together, but when his friends were around, I didn't exist. I had a best friend, well a few friends, who I followed along, thinking that they knew more than me in every department, when in the end I just got into trouble, and really knew all along that I would, but it just didn't seem to matter at the time. I also had the friend, who once high school hit, we didn't hate each other, but we just KNEW that we had entered a heirarchy, and we were on different levels all together. Ah, the memories.

I know that I am not the only one who has these experiences and these relationships, and that's why I'm mentioning this whole fascination. Sometimes we just have to look back on who we were, and laugh and cry all at the same time, and scream "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING"!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!

It keeps us humble.

No comments: