Mar 30, 2005

Smiling faces, brought some introspect and a smile to this gal

I had planned to get up early today, and enjoy a good five or six hours of coffee, Law and Order and Dawson's Cheesy Creek. At midnight yesterday, I forced myself to finish an online game of Scrabble and a cigarette, both of which, I had started moments before, when I returned home from work. I didn't think I would make it through the last 4 plays of the tiles, before I fell fast asleep on my keyboard. All of a sudden it was 4 am. I had watched 4 episodes of Sex and the City, that I rented from the library, had 2 more games of Scrabble, and tossed and turned so much, I think I may have thrown my back out, cause it's killing me today.

Well, I did get up early today, because I was called into work at 8am. It was a good day though, I made a lasagna, watched the Cosby Show, and did all my paper work while sitting on the deck in the sunshine. When I got home tonight, I felt energized, and had to force myself not to go out and have a few beers at the Pub....it's only 2 more sleeps til Friday, and if I save my money, I can do it up properly.

Anyways, back to last night. Somewhere between the 3rd episode of Sex and the City, and a game of Scrabble, I got stuck. I just stood in my room, in a sleepy haze, chugging from my water bottle and staring at all the photos on my wall. After scanning all the photos and thinking of which ones could be changed, I happened to notice how happy everyone in the photos were. I was surrounded by friends, friends babies, relatives and rockstars, all of whom were grinning at me like I had just given them their first bicycle. I cynically thought,"What the hell are they so happy about?", but abruptly and unconciously stopped my negative thinking in its tracks.

Almost immediatly, I started to remember all the instances and occasions that these people were photographed. Over- priced rock concerts, 25th wedding anniversaries, high school graduations, birthday parties, going-away parties, staff parties, a protest march against the war in Iraq, days in the park, and an accidental drunken afternoon. I couldn't help but recall how everyone, including myself, was bubbling over with joy, pride and silliness on these days, and we were all truly happy.

In our day to day lives, you must admit, we sometimes mull over how negative this friend is, how depressed that chick is, how fucked up the rest of them are. We dwell on the shit in our lives, and how it could all be better if...(insert your 'if' here).On too many occasions, we neglect to sit and recall from our memory all the good times we have had with these people and with ourselves...and why we are so happy and scrappy together. There's a reason all of these people on my wall are in my life, and there are 101 fantastic reasons why we are all smiling......and you can see why in the pictures.

___________________

That Suge Knight psycho just likes to get in trouble. I find it ridiculous that we care, but if you care, read this.

I saw Bob MacDonald on the news this morning, and if you want to learn what I learned, about the health of the earth, you'll have to go to this page first.

No comments: