Mar 8, 2005

Just another night at the House of Pain...

I don't scare easily. I'm not afraid of walking down a dark path at night. I'm not afraid of ghosts, or goblins or UFO's, what have you. Anything that most people are weary of, I am not. I am however, very jumpy, when it comes to banging on my door at 2am. Which is what happened tonight. I was getting ready to go to bed, hanging out in my room, listening to community radio, when I thought I heard someone at the door. Since my window was open, I could hear that someone was outside, so I just assumed it was the neighbors, as they keep strange hours like I do. A few seconds later, I heard a BANG BANG BANG on the door. I crept out into the living room, flicked on a light, and peeked through the peephole in the door. Nobody was there, so I walked away, but then a few seconds later, there was more bang-banging. I yelled out, and asked who it was, and of course nobody answered. At that moment I heard a bang at the back door, and more banging at the front door....so I grabbed the phone, and got ready to call someone if need be.

But, of course, it was nothing. My imagination got the best of me. It was V-man at the back door, drunken friends at the front. Fuckers. V-man quickly apologized, he had thought I was working a double shift tonight. I told him it was OK if they hung out here, as long a Skreechy (that's how she sounds) kept it down. I think she's being as quiet as she possible can be, but unfortunatly,to counteract her half-way less irritating voice, GQ has gained control of the stereo, and is cranking my CD's as loud as he can, and every couple minutes I hear more door slamming, so I assume, there are more than 4 people out there, or they are just running in and out of the house.


I guess it's really not that big of a deal, I have brought people over here assuming V-man wasn't here, but I just thought that for once I would fall asleep at an hour that wouldn't make it unbearable to wake up before noon. Even scarier than the knocks at the door though, is the thought of the mess that will be needing to be cleaned up in the morning. I haven't cleaned anything since Thursday, so the house was already in shambles in my humble opinion. Ah well, I guess them's the breaks, of living in someone else's house.


But, if I'm lucky, they will crash here for the night, and I can get up early and do my thing, make some noise, and wake them up an hour after they went to bed. That's what I do, and if I inconvenience someone else, I expect the same rudeness right back.


I'm half-ass thinking I should go out and join them for a beer, but I'm almost out of smokes, so I'd have to go to the store, and that would set in motion a series of events that would guarantee me NOT getting up before noon, possibly not even before I have to catch the bus at 2pm. Plus my eyelids are getting heavy, and since I have the amazing ability to sleep through drunken nonsense noise, I should take advantage of this. I haven't felt tired, at night, for a long time.


The night shifts at work are great. There isn't much to do, and usually they are quiet and relaxing. But they are right fucking up my ability to live in a 9 to 5 world. I'm a night person as it is, and never did well having to get up in the morning with previous jobs, but at least I was tired in the evening, and had a some-what regular sleeping pattern. Now I sleep when my body and the world around me allows me to, and I am pretty sure I can't do this forever, I'll lose my marbles.


And on that note, I'm going to go smoke my last smoke, and try and pass out in my dirty sheets, that I have to get up early tomorrow in order to wash.



No comments: