Mar 25, 2005

I wonder if Jian is upset that Moxy Fruvous didn't make the cut?


Since January, Jian Ghomeshi and his friends in the Canadian music business, have been compiling a list of the Top 50 Canadian songs of all time. I have been listening and voting and cursing Torontonians since it started. But, alas, today is the countdown to end all countdowns on DNTO, and I finally can sleep easy, knowing that the list has been compiled....even though there are still some entries that I feel don't deserve a spot on the list, and as well, there are some artists who were left off the list, that deserve some acknowledgement.

To see the complete list of Canadian songs chosen, go to CBC's 50 Tracks, if you want to know what the heck I'm blabbing about in this entry.

I must admit, I'm not too educated on popular music between 1900 and 1959. Although I have heard all of the tracks chosen for this time period, I don't know if there are any songs that were better suited. So, I can't complain about any of the panels choices. So,I will spend my time criticizing and congratulating the picks from 1960-2005.


_________________________

Critique #1 I guess my biggest complaint of all with this list, is the fact that certain artists/groups are on it more than once. I realize that the careers of people like Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Bruce Cockburn and Leonard Cohen (to name a few), have spanned decades, and it is extremely difficult to chose just one track from each of them to be on the list. But, I feel that because these duplicate entries are on the list, other essential Canadian artists, had to be left out of the voting pool.

Critique #2 Leonard Cohen. Although I love his poetry and books, I can't stand his singing, because, well he can't freaking sing. The fact that he had more than one song debated for this list, just makes me laugh. I apologize to all you Leonard Cohen fans, I know some of you, but I think you are giving Mr. Cohen a tad too much respect when it comes to the music biz. He should stay in the land of literary geniuses where he belongs.

Critique #3 The fact that artists like Anne Murray, Rush and Sarah McLachlan almost didn't make the list, is sickening. Whether you are fans of them or not, you have to admit, they are big players in the international music scene, and have proven themselves over the years. Thank god for the listeners getting a say in all this, and voting appropriatly.

Critique #4 The panelists. Now, I don't have a complaint with all the panelists that have participated over the past 3 months, but more often than not, I found myself sitting and listening to a group of high and mighty wankers from Toronto, who know nothing about what the rest of the country listens to, or has listened to over the years. Torontonians need a wake-up call from the rest of us.....they don't know a damn thing about us, and it's very upsetting to me.

Critique #5 The fact that artists like Ron Sexsmith, 54-40, Ashley MacIssac, Hayden, The Watchmen, The Odds, Shania Twain and about a hundred other artists that have made an impact in their genre of music, and on the people of our country weren't even debated or nominated, is something I can't even wrap my brain around.

___________________________

High-5 #1 The fact that so many people, young and old, from the east and west, had the opportunity to vote and sell their favorite songs every week. Democracy was at work, and in action.

High-5 #2 Goes to the panelists and listeners alike, who absolutely BLASTED contributer Liisa LaDouceur for saying that The Tragically Hip were nothing special, and were nothing more than "Hoser Rock". Well, Liisa, leave Toronto, and you will find a bunch of beer-guzzling hosers, listening to Das Hips. She also said that if The Hip and their Hoser Rock made it on to the list, then other Hoser Rockers like the Lowest of the Low, BTO and Trooper have to be on the list too......and she didn't say that in a complimentary way. She hates the hosers, and now all the hosers hate her. Karma.

High-5 #3 I was ecsatic, when I learned that "Home for a Rest", "Tom Sawyer", "The Safety Dance", "Echo Beach", "Disco Sucks", and "High School Confidential" all made it onto the top 50. Now I have proof that there are others out there who have the same 'eclectic' taste in music that I do.

High-5 #4 At first, I wasn't too sure about "Crabbucket" by K-OS making the list. Maybe because it is such a recent song, and has been over-played just like crazy. But after doing a little research on K-OS, I truly believe he deserves that spot on the list, even if it's just for being the political, goofy and talented person he is. I learned a bit more about the Canadian Hip-Hop scene, and that's where the High-5 is coming from.

High-5 #5 The countdown itself. What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, listening to great Canadian music and Jian.

__________________________

Well, it's a beautiful, sunny day, and I should get out of the house. I've got some errands to do, and I need some exercise and fresh air. I've cooped myself up for the last 2 days, and starting tonight at midnight, I have a long stretch of work coming up, I should probably get the heck out of here, and have some fun.

No comments: