May 5, 2005

Once again, we made the News!!!

Yet another tragedy has occured in Small Town. This time, the conclusion has been murder-suicide. Relatively new to town, native family with 6 kids under 16. Opened a little diner, that had great food, if you ask me, and that's all I know about them. Husband shoots wife in front of the kids in the wee hours of the morning, then proceeds outside to shoot himself. An elderly woman I've known my entire life (and she's always been elderly to me), witnesses this, and goes to check on the children and call for help.

As I watched the news last night in disbelief, I couldn't help but think, just how not shocking this incident was. If I hear that Small Town will be on the news at 6:00, I tune in, and see murders, attempted murders, suicides, robberies, farm accidents, car accidents that claim the lives of many, undrinkable water, and a mayor being ousted by childish, gossip-addled citizens of the town. It's always been this way. Tragedy after freaking tragedy. One hard knock after the other. And gossip gets the best of ya, sometimes.


I spent a good chunk of my evening, conversing with a co-worker, (who happens to be quite familiar with Small Town and area, due to her family being from 'round d'os parts' ) about what exactly has made Small Town the way it is. I only lived there for 19- 20 years at best, and I know there was always the same old shit going on long before I arrived on the Plains, because adults told me so. Mrs. Bird (my co-worker), said that she thinks the main reason for the "troubles" is racism. She said that it goes both ways, and neither race ever helps each other the way that they should. And that's true. You hear all about the Evil White Man, and the Lazy Indians, day after day, year after year. Really though, Evil White Man, is a farmer who's been in debt since the Depression, and the Lazy Indian is just looking for a break. Both groups have the same troubles when it comes right down to it though.


Alcoholism is a big one. The native people are somehow singled out by the townspeople (white and otherwise), because they are more visible. But there are quiet a few white housewives, farmers, teenagers and so on, who are drunks as well.....they just work harder at concealing it when they go into Town. The lack of employment opportunities, make most young people, regardless of race, leave town, to search for greener pastures. The ones who stay find work here and there, and what work they do find, most likely isn't very high paying, or very stimulating. Waitressing, helping on farms, construction, pumping gas......it doesn't really get any better than that if you are under-educated. (not that there is anything wrong with those jobs, I've been there). When the students come home in the summer, they get the government and the tourism-fuelled seasonal jobs.


So what have we come up with? Racism, alcoholism and a high unemployment rate. That describes every town in Saskatchewan with a declining and aging population, with businesses closing their doors, and real-estate signs on the lawn of every second house.


What makes Small Town different then you ask? I can't say for sure, it just is, and I have always known it, every since I was younger, and my friends,cousins, and natives from other communities, sports teams and tourists showed us just how different we were by being afraid or weary to go downtown when they were there. They felt uncomfortable. I never knew exactly why, other than knowing that something was wrong with all of us. Other towns go unnoticed, never making the news, never having to deal with anything that CSI's need to be brought in for. We have always dealt, as a community, and it gives the coffee crowd, the business owners and the farm wives something to talk about, and yet another thing to fear.


I'm sure someone with a Sociology, or Indian Studies degree, could give me a long winded answer to why Small Town is the way it is, just as one of the regular coffee consumers at the diner could tell a story as to why the owner was shot by her husband. And I'd love to hear it all, but just don't think for a second that you know it all until you've lived in the shoes of the citizens of my hometown and the surrounding area, otherwise, one of them is going to tell you,


"No you don't get it. You just don't understand. There's more to the story. We ARE different. Hear me out."



No comments: