May 20, 2008

The Great Train Adventure of '08 (Part Three)

We left The City in flip-flops and t-shirts on April 21st,  and by the time we arrived in ToonTown two hours later, there was a blizzard so bad that we couldn't even see, and I had to dig for shoes that actually covered my feet for fear of frostbite. Luckily, by the time we got to Toronto on the 23rd, it was hot and sunny and there wasn't a flake of snow to be found.

We spent our first two days of holidays just wandering around Toronto. We must have walked about 16 hours a day. We visited a couple friends of Smyrish, and just went with the flow. No plans, nowhere to be, just enjoyed being away. My feet were killing me, but I just loved being out in the sun, and it was a trip, taking in the view of high-rises, running businessmen on Bay Street, and homeless people sleeping on grates to keep warm. By the time we left, I really had to wonder if maybe Canada should take a break from helping in other countries, and do something about our own. 

After our 2 days in Toronto, we hopped back on the train and headed to Kingston to visit our friend Hobbsley. Soon after we arrived at his apartment, we cleaned ourselves up, and he whisked us away to a Law School BBQ before taking us on a very nice tour of the city, telling us all about it's history, stopping in at many pubs along the way. We were good and slammered by the time we made our way to Skeleton Park to look for bones, grave markers and ghosts, the latter of which I swear that I caught on a couple shots on my digital camera. 

The next day, we were hungover beyond belief. That Hobbsley sure can party. We didn't get up to much, other than some more wandering, coffee and Scrabble, and pints, as I awoke with evidence that at some point the day before, I had sprained my ankle, but was obviously too drunk to remember when or how I did it. Thankfully, Hobbsley had a tensor bandage, to keep my ankle in place as we wandered on down to the ferry for a ride that night.

The next morning, we said our goodbye's to Hobbsley and headed back to the train station, and were on our way to grand ol' Montreal.

* I will post photos as soon as I learn how to work this darn computer!

No comments: