May 11, 2006

Weighing In on Weight Gain


So, I gained about 20 pounds of blubber over the winter. I'm not impressed. Actually, I'm not impressed with myself at the moment, as I know I could have started doing something about it a long time ago, and now, I am basically behind on my goal weight that I wanted for summer. I wanted to be as svelt as possible, because I'm sick of worrying about what I look like at friends weddings, family functions and so on. It's probably all in my head, but I really have to wonder what these people think ,who haven't seen me since I was skinny, when they see me now. I imagine, that after whatever function, some aunt/cousin/long lost friend, are driving in their car, turn to their passenger and say "What a nice wedding/reunion/funeral that was. But, wowzee, has Abigail gotten a bit rotund!". OK, nobody talks like that. But you get my point.

Growing up, we were a fairly healthy family, and I think I really need to thank my parents for not pumping us full of fast food, junk food, and the like. Chips and sweets were for Xmas and birthdays. If we went on a trip to a city, we might stop at a fast food joint for lunch. Pop was not allowed, unless it was a special occasion and there were other kids around, as it was 'mix' for the adults, and was not to be touched. We were constantly ushered outside to ride bikes, play in the creek, go swimming, skiiing, tobogganning, play sports, and everything else. We ate healthy, home-cooked meals every single day. It's because of this, that to this day I couldn't give a good god damn about chocolate or Coca Cola,and I am able to keep my salt addiction under control if I put my mind to it. However, even though I was raised to eat well, and be active, over the past few years, I have turned into a lazy city person, who orders out, and takes cabs, because of laziness or time constraints. Yuck.

I realize that the extreme lack of exercise, and eating too many carbs, (I'm sorry, I'm poor. Pasta and rice are definatly in my budget) and drinking too much beer are the reason I'm turning into a whale. I also know that I could very easily drop about 15 pounds pronto, if I just got my ass in gear, maybe had a nagging friend or two who could assist me in getting my ass in gear. But mostly, it's all on my shoulders, and dagnabbit, today's the day. It's time to stop fucking around. Or maybe start fucking around....according to Cosmo, hard-core lovin' can burn a heap of calories.

I woke up yesterday, and the first thing I thought of was my bicycle.* My car was almost out of gas, and at that time, payday was 2 days away. (Now it's 22 hours and counting) I realized that I bought the car for the sole purpose of being able to get to work and back, getting groceries, and the odd road trip. However, since buying it, I have become lazier than ever. I used to walk downtown. Now I drive. I used to have to walk to the bus. I don't take the bus anymore. And so on. I sicken myself. I decided that the first thing I was going to do when I cashed my paycheck, was head to Canadian Tire, and by myself a bike lock, so I can use my bike and only my bike on the weekends, and whenever I am not doing the aformentioned activities that the car is supposed to be for. I was so pumped, that I went to the Petro Can, filled the tires with air, and bicycled over to Delores' place. I felt great. Once I do it a couple times, I'll be addicted. It's my personality. I also remembered my ecstacy only a couple months ago, when the snow and ice started to melt, and how I was so happy that I would be able to go for walks, and just plain walk everywhere I needed to go. B-Rock lent me his discman, I filled discs full of MP3's, and walked my ass off for 2 weeks.....and then I got this evil car. I love walking, I love biking, and I think I just needed to weigh myself yesterday, so I could get my excitement for simple exercise back.

I must stick up for myself though, when I am berating myself. I have been playing frisbee in the park every weekend, as often as possible. I eat as healthy as my bank account will allow. I count the 4 hours of hardcore dancing I do every Saturday night as exercise, because I usually push myself so hard I'm sweating like a mofo and last week, I even thought I was going to keel over and die, if The DJ didn't play a shitty song, so I could sit down and take a break. And hey, I brought the bike out yesterday.

I can do it. Right??

* Every single time I say the word 'bicycle', that Queen song runs through my head. "I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike...."


************************

Ladies, check this site out. Gentlemen, it's not what you think, you dirty boys. :) CheckOutMyBreasts.Com


I love this fantastic music-related blog I stumbled across. It's called Mocking Music, and is chalk-full of reviews, suggested downloads, rants, concert listings......all the good stuff.

Apparently, we're going to be peace-keeping it up for quite awhile. Why not drop a line to one or all of our Canadian troops abroad.


No comments: